At some point in your ownership of a Jeep Wrangler, you may need to replace your spark plugs. But how much does it cost to replace the spark plugs on a Jeep Wrangler? The cost of a Jeep Wrangler spark plug replacement varies depending on several factors, including the make and model of your Jeep Wrangler, the type of spark plugs you choose, and the labor costs at your chosen mechanic.
In this article, we will provide a comprehensive guide on spark plug replacement cost of your jeep wrangler and everything you need to know about it.
Jeep Wrangler Spark Plug Replacement Cost:
The cost of Jeep Wrangler spark plug replacement can range anywhere from $100 to $250. Below is a breakdown of what you can expect to pay for the various components of the replacement process.
Spark Plugs Cost:
The cost of spark plugs for a Jeep Wrangler ranges from $15 to $50 per plug, depending on the type of spark plug you choose.
The labor costs for replacing spark plugs on a Jeep Wrangler range from $80 to $200, depending on where you go for the replacement.
There may be additional costs associated with spark plug replacement, such as diagnostic fees or gasket replacements, which can add to the overall cost of the replacement.
Factors Affecting the Cost of Spark Plug Replacement
Several factors can affect the cost of replacing the spark plugs on your Jeep Wrangler.
Make and Model of Jeep:
One of the primary factors is the make and model of your Jeep. For instance, the cost of replacing the spark plugs on a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL may differ from that of a 2010 Jeep Wrangler JK. The cost also varies depending on whether you have a 4-cylinder or 6-cylinder engine.
Type of Spark Plug:
The type of spark plug you choose can also affect the cost of replacement. Jeep Wrangler owners have the option of selecting from a range of spark plug types, including copper, iridium and platinum spark plugs. Iridium spark plugs, for example, are known for their longevity and excellent performance. However, they are more expensive than copper spark plugs.
Symptoms of Bad Spark Plug:
If you’re experiencing any of the following symptoms, it may be time to replace your spark plugs:
- Engine Misfire: When a spark plug isn’t firing properly, it can cause the engine to misfire. A misfire can cause the engine to run rough or stall, and it can also cause damage to the catalytic converter.
- Rough Idle: A worn-out spark plug can cause the engine to idle roughly, and it may even cause the engine to stall.
- Reduced Fuel Efficiency: If the spark plugs aren’t functioning correctly, the engine may not burn fuel efficiently, leading to reduced fuel efficiency.
- Difficulty Starting: If the spark plugs are worn out, the engine may struggle to start, or it may not start at all.
Causes of Spark Plug Failure | What Causes a Spark Plug to Break
Let’s talk about the causes of spark plug failure. Spark plugs can fail for several reasons:
- Wear and Tear: Over time, spark plugs wear down and become less effective. As the electrode wears, the spark becomes weaker, making it harder for the spark plug to ignite the fuel mixture.
- Oil or Carbon Build-Up: Oil or carbon buildup on the spark plugs can cause misfiring or reduced performance.
- Overheating: If the engine runs too hot, it can cause the spark plugs to overheat and fail.
- Incorrect Gap: If the spark plug gap is incorrect, the spark may not be strong enough to ignite the fuel mixture.
- Incorrect Type: Using the wrong type of spark plug can cause misfires and reduced performance.
If you’re experiencing any of the symptoms mentioned above, it’s time to have your spark plugs inspected and replaced if necessary. It’s essential to replace the spark plugs on schedule to prevent further engine damage.
In summary, the cost of Jeep Wrangler spark plug replacement varies depending on several factors, including the make and model of your Jeep, the type of spark plugs you choose, and the labor costs at your chosen mechanic. While the cost of replacement can range from $100 to $300, DIY spark plug replacement can save you a significant amount of money on labor costs.